We’ve been getting more and more questions from clients asking how some of the Google results they see when searching have their pictures next to their them and, consequently, how they to do it to their own listings.
What we are setting up is called a Google rich snippet
For this recipe you’ll need a few things:
- a Google account - for the Google Plus account
- an email address from the domain with desired listings
- access to the website
You’ll have to do a bit of updating on a couple fronts:
- Your Google Plus profile
- The website of which you’re trying to verify
1 - Set Google Plus profile for Rich Snippets
- Log into Google
- Go to plus.google.com and click "profile” on the left side. Welcome to your profile
- Click on the profile picture. Make sure the picture is set to a picture with your face. Otherwise, Google won’t show it. [They’ve gotten good at detecting faces}.
- Towards the top, under the cover profile, click the About button.
- On the About page down the right hand side, go to Links.
- At the bottom of the Links section, click Edit.
- In the Contributor to subsection, add the domain to the Add custom link. Click Save.
- Go back towards the top and hit the +1’s. Set the +1’s to public.
2 - Verify Google + Profile for Rich Snippets
- Copy the link of your Google + Profile. It will look like:
- embed the following code along with your Google + profile into the pages of the website of which you will get credit (more on how to do that below for BiziPorts & WordPress)
- Go to Google Plus rich snippet testing page
- place the website in the list to see the profile & click "preview”
- Go down a couple sections to the Authorship Email Verification
- Add your Google Plus profile to the box and click Verify Authorship
- Click the text link verified an email address
- In the paragraph, add email from the domain and click Signup for Authorship
- Go to email for the domain and verify address.